Monday, June 8, 2009

My mother lies in her bed, choking and coughing. 
She has been hallucinating for about three days now. 
She never really sleeps, talking non-stop through the night hours, 
and never really wakes up during the day.
She eats with her eyes closed.
She falls back to sleep on her way back from the bathroom, 
her legs folding under her and her eyes closed.
My father has had no sleep. He is near a breaking point, from what I can see.
I don't know what to do to help him. 
He has prescriptions for three different medications to help her sleep - everything from Valium to an anti-psychotic drug - and he's afraid to give them to her because of potential side-effects.
I make him dinner when I get home from work, do the dishes, get my mother to and from the table, put her back to bed, send him for a walk, take her to the bathroom. 
Now he's trying to get to bed himself, and she's coughing and choking, it's been about ten or fifteen minutes now. She doesn't seem to be able to clear her throat of saliva, or mucus, or whatever is making her cough. 
He had been trying to get to bed while she was quietly sleeping, to see if he could sleep, but she has been coughing now until she's restless, talking again.
I don't know how to help them.

No comments:

Post a Comment