Monday, June 29, 2009

Bake

I went on a baking binge while my brother and his family were here.
It's always good to have an excuse to bake, so I did.
Saturday I baked a New Starlight cake with rum penuche frosting
and hazelnuts between the layers.
Sunday we held an impromptu birthday party for my niece
with a Black Midnight layer cake, with chocolate buttercream fudge frosting,
chocolate chips, and those little chocolate sprinkles they call Jimmies on the east coast.
Gramma slept through the party and could not be roused,
and she felt so bad on Monday morning that she had missed it
we did the whole thing again on Monday evening
this time with an Angelfood cake with warm chocolate pudding and whipped cream.
We know how to be bad in my family.
Thank heaven for the old Betty Crocker and Better Homes cookbooks.
In between and around cake we had strawberry shortcake with whipped cream
chocolate chip cookies
blackberry cobbler with more whipped cream
and finally, for my oldest brother's birthday the following Thursday,
a chocolate Devil's Food cake with chocolate cream cheese frosting,
toasted walnuts, and carmel ice cream. 
I would say that I'm done baking now
but it's strawberry season and you can't put up strawberries
without making a shortcake
or waffles
or pie.
What's a girl like me to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment