Friday, February 20, 2009

Health Food

Warning: this is a LOW-FAT chocolate cake!

Written in my grandmother's neat, precise handwriting
on a yellowed index card,
Devil's Food Cake
my mother's careful note next to the title -
Crazy Cake -
no eggs, no butter, no cholesterol presumably
3/4 cup oil instead, I used Canola
and 2 c. warm water with 2 T white vinegar
war-time stringencies
made bearable by warm chocolate
and ingenuity
I use extra vanilla in everything, a teaspoon becomes
a tablespoon (what does that say about me?)
I even used whole wheat for part of the 3 cups of flour
the recipe called for
(2 c sugar, 2 t soda, 1 t salt, 6 T cocoa powder, stir well)
I know it's better warm from the oven
with whipped cream melting over the top
but I will have to settle for chocolate sour cream frosting
(fat-free)
and walnuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment