Thursday, March 12, 2009

Late

It’s time to go,
Get in the car and drive to
The recital.
This student has been in school
A long time, twice as long as average
He deserves his audience.
I drive - first through rain, then hail
Then snow - ridiculous weather -
I see traffic stopped ahead of me. A firetruck?
Yes, a firetruck with flashing lights, traffic backed up.
I stop in the middle of the road, turn into a driveway,
Go back to a side road and cut across to the next main road.
I still have time to get there.
I drive to the church - no one there, wasn’t he going to
Sing here? Nope, I will check at the school.
A parking place opens up as I drive up, perfect. I will be exactly on time.
I walk up to the recital hall, see the performers
outside the hall waiting to go in
Are you ready? I smile and ask.
Ready? For the last two arias, they reply.
Did you forget it’s Daylight Savings Time today?

No comments:

Post a Comment